Tom Stein is an international musician, an acclaimed music educator in the global music industry, an educational consultant, and ambassador for the culture. Tom has been actively involved in the world of music for over 40 years performing in more than 30 countries playing electric bass, guitar and even voice.
As an Associate Professor as a Senior Professor at Berklee College of Music in Boston, Tom has taught hundreds of students, including many of whom have gone to have illustrious musical careers including winning GRAMMY Awards, recording hits records, and traveling around across the world to perform in concerts.
While at Berklee, Tom also served as Alumni Admissions Coordinator Interim Department Chair as well as a Member of Berklee’s Board of Admissions, and as Music Director or Concert Producer for a variety of mainstage shows with well-known alumni as well as honorary doctoral recipients.
Tom Stein is a part of the Fulbright Specialist Roster (U.S. State Department) for entertainment in the world and the music industry. He is the head of civilian diplomatic missions in foreign countries using music for educational and cultural exchanges. In this capacity the musician has developed a modern music courses for schools across Turkey, Serbia, China and Portugal.
Tom performs live concerts , and performs live in the studio with guitar, bass and voice. Tom also plays the Appalachian mountain dulcimer and is an accomplished arranger and Producer of high-profile concerts.
Tom Stein specializes in music industry research and research on music education. He has published white papers, spoken on conferences, as well as taught master-classes and workshops both internationally and nationally at top universities and colleges. His topics include music industry as well as legal aspects of the musical business blues and jazz, rock performances and composition, arranging, music production, and marketing.
Tom completed the bachelor of Music in guitar performance arrangement, musical business with the highest marks in the Berklee College of Music, and earned the master of Music in Jazz studies with electronic bass at the New England Conservatory. He has been on faculty in the Berklee College of Music since 1988. Berklee since 1988. He has taught classes in the theory of music as well as improvisation, ear training (solfege) as well as arrangement, music production and business of music.
He was also an active faculty member in the Berklee summer programs for more than 30 years. He has been instrumental in helping create the highly successful 5 Week Summer Performance program and Guitar Sessions, Music Sessions and the Basslines program.
- Tom has produced and presented an event series of concerts in Shanghai at The Shanghai Concert Hall in People’s Park which showcased America’s music. American music scene. USA.
- He was the bassist on Al Kooper’s critically acclaimed album from 2005 Black Coffee on the Favored Nations record label.
- Tom was the first administrator in The John Lennon Songwriting Contest and Educational Tour Bus, and was responsible for the judging of the contest during the first 10 years.
- Tom has written Tom is the author of Business of Music Management: How to Survive and Win in the Music Industry of Today It is now available through Business Expert Press, an affiliate of Harvard Business Press.
- Tom developed the web-based class “Get Admitted to a Top Music School,” that is available to students who are interested in music through his site.
Tom’s associations with professional organizations include:
- It is the National Association of Recording Arts and Sciences (GRAMMY(r) Awards)
- Berklee College of Music
- Top Music Schools The Top Music Schools
- International Association of Schools of Jazz (IASJ)
- The Fulbright Specialist Roster (U.S. State Dept.)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFL-CIO)
- Massachusetts Federation of Teachers (MFT)
- American Federation of Musicians (AFM)
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- International Institute of Marketing Professionals (IIMP(r)).
Tom is an author who has been syndicated for these publications:
- Turkey Tribune, Young Celebrity News
- UK indie music magazine Chemical
- The International Acoustic Music Awards blog
- CareersInMusic.com website